Friday, February 6, 2015

DIY Paper Mache Hide Out and Chew Toy



      Its been a few days since I last shared anything with you as I have been really busy caring for a sick bun bun that has the snuffles :( 

     Today I decided to try something new though as I fell like my chinchilla needed a new toy.  I decided to make my chinchilla a new hide out. This is a safe project your kids can get involved with & be creative with. Clean up is easy as a snap & its fun as well!  I am using 6 simple things I had laying around the house. For this toy you will need

Supplies
~ A Balloon
~ Newspaper
~ Flour
~ Water
~ A bowl to hold your balloon
~ Tissue Paper (Optional)

What your going to do is paper mache the balloon all over except for a circle opening where your lil critter is going to enter the ball. Or you could leave one opening on each end if preferred.

To make the paste your going to want to mix 1 part flour to 2 parts water & add in a pinch of salt
I used 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup water and then mixed til creamy. You don't want it thick or it will be a messy pain to work with! You will have to give it a stir from time to time as it will start to gel up on occasion at the bottom if your just working at a slow pace.

Here are some pictures at each step of the process. Please ignore the fact that the initial picture has a red balloon & the actual balloon I used that is green. My kitty saw the red balloon & claimed it before I could start the project.


Just make sure you blow up the balloon large enough for your lil critter to fit comfortably.
Here I added 2 layers of newspaper then left it to dry for about 12 to 14hrs


 This is going to be the opening where your lil critter will climb into their new hidy ball

This was the last step. I put on 1 more layer of newspaper for a total of 3 layers, then I put on some fun colored tissue paper to add some color(which was the 4th layer). I only did one layer of tissue paper but you could do however much you want. 



 Again let it dry for at least another 12hrs to make sure it is cure and here is the finished product! 



It doesn't dry as bright as it starts out as the flour makes it a duller color after it dries. But its still quite pretty. It is quite simple & was pretty fun to do! Next you can either put it in the cage as is or you can gently poke a hole or holes in the top of your creation & suspend it in the cage for your lil one to jump in & out of.

 I poked two tiny holes in the back of the ball & secured it with an animal safe twine so it wont roll on him while he is rolling around in his dust bath. 



This is a safe & fun project your kids can help with & that your pet will LOVE! Its safe for your pet to nibble on & play in.

I hope you & your lil critter enjoy this project as much as me & mine have! Next I may try one for my smaller bun bun :)

You can follow me on facebook as well at https://www.facebook.com/ThriftyAnimalMama

No comments:

Post a Comment