Thursday, February 5, 2015

DIY Critter Litter: Natural, Easy to Make, Litter for Small Animals



Today I just wanted to take a moment to share with you a method that I use to make critter litter for my bunnies. I do this mostly during the summer when I have more time. This litter would also be suitable for hamsters, degus, ferrets, chinchillas, hedgehogs, rats, mice, and gerbils. I'm not sure it would be good for cats as its particles are not small enough but if you want to try it on a kitty, more power to you. 

Supplies
Newspaper
Baking soda (optional)
Water
Organic animal safe soap (optional)
Shredder (optional)

Step #1
Your going to want to shred your paper as small as possible which you can do by hand but I prefer to use a shredder as it cuts the time down quite a bit. 

Step #2 
Your going to want to soak your paper in a large container in the hottest water possible. Once the paper is soaked begin to swish it around with your arm to help give it a bit of a wash. You could also use the old washing bucket method to wash it where you put a lid on the top of the bucket and have a plunger you use. But please purchase a new plunger if you use this method and use it for this only if you go that way. By this time your bucket should look a bit like oatmeal and have a very pulpy consistency. 



Step #3
Next you will mix the pulp and rinse as much ink out as you can. I use a large colander and rinse this while sitting in the tub usually to help keep the mess down. If you need the paper a bit like bread dough while it's in the colander that seems to help I find. Then set the clean paper aside in another container



Step #4
Now you want to try to get the excess water out to help it dry quicker. I use an old ricer I found but you can squeeze it out by hand or any other method you choose pretty much. 



Step #5 (Optional)
Lastly you have the option of using some baking soda before drying. I find this helps with the smell quite a bit but you don't have to use baking soda if you wish but, if you do remember less is more with it or your litter will dry rock solid if you use too much! 

Now just lay it out to dry.


Here is my youtube video that will go over this is a bit more detail for you




ENJOY! :)


As always you can follow me on facebook as well for your daily dose of cute as well as exciting up to date new in the animal science world as well as more tips and tricks from my pintrest page.  https://www.facebook.com/ThriftyAnimalMama



Or you can fine me on youtube as well.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGy6RgOdkJfBs0p6e0FydMQ


No comments:

Post a Comment